Wednesday 20 January 2016

Sculpting The Character - Developmental Process: Making the Skeleton Armature

Original Sketch
Edrik, The Flamboyant King of Vladya is about to be brought upon this world, with all his arrogance disseminating through the air. Today, in the Ceramics Shop, we started creating our individual characters by making their armatures. Since my character is a humanoid, the crafted armature went according to the guidance of our proctor. Firstly, I sketched out the basic shapes of my character in a T-Pose in relation to a linear graph with 9 points, all separated by 25mm. We did this in order to use the sketches as references to the size of our character, as we drew all joint points as well. Accordingly, by twisting aluminium wires (in order to get a stronger bind) we created the skeleton of the legs, spine, arms, and head, by bending the malleable wires with pliers, all in relation to the original sketch. By using milliput, a versatile industrial adhesive, I molded the muscles of the legs and arms of Edrik, leaving space in between the joints for flexibility. Finally, with styrofoam I crafted the torso and head of my character, which are soon to be covered in a plasticine mold. I had to be careful of the size, because with the plasticine at the end the shape of the character shall increase in bulkyness, considering Edrik is a slender king! Hopefully, by the next time the milliput will set and harden, so that I may awaken Edrik and bring him to this realm!






No comments:

Post a Comment