Wednesday 13 January 2016

The Other Side - Developmental Stages: Sound Effects and Atmosphere Music

With the scenes being piled together, now it's time to add sound. I took all of the ambient sounds and sound effects from freesound.org. Firstly, I set a background ambience soundtrack with echoed synthetic sounds that mimicked the "extraterrestrial" sounds used in sci-fi horror movies (cause I thought that this would go great with the selective lighting). Since the character talks during the first scene, I recorded my own voice with a condenser microphone (a good one, too) yelling out "where is my other side?" with a coarse alteration to my voice, along with grunts and screams that the character produces along as he travels through the unknown. In order to fuse the isolated realm with the sound, I altered my voice with an echo effect with a decay factor of 0,5 and a time factor of 0,1 (seconds, as in how soon the sound echoes). Aside from this, sounds of moving through space, of impact with miscellaneous items and objects (like the Ketchup Construct), and of the sounds the Construct makes I downloaded and then compiled and altered them. For example, the subtle steam that the Ketchup Construct releases is not in intervals - it's just a can of coke opening - I lowered and augmented the levels of the sound based on the frames to make it sound as if it's releasing steam one cluster at a time. Another such example is the screaming, which levels are also configured to simulate travel of the object (in this case, the character) producing those sounds.

Soundboard of the animation - the lines between the nods signify levels of sound

No comments:

Post a Comment