Monday 4 January 2016

Captain Character: Emotion

With the right kind of face, every character can instantly evoke an assumption of their traits in the eyes of the audience. It's been said in psychology that people can recognize the main facial expressions that portray emotions everywhere, regardless of culture. Thus, Edrik has made faces! Initially, while I was still drawing itirations of possible characters I took the facial expressions into consideration, which is one of the main reasons why I decided to go with the Ruler Jungian archetype instead of the Sage (hence, most sages are characterized by a signature beard). Of course, the main emotions came to mind firstly (happy, sad, angry), however, I chose mine to be a little more specific than that. For example, instead of happy, I drew Edrik's face when he's cheeky and presumptuous, and the moment several of my peers saw his face they pointed out his perverted grin, perfectly going along with the description. Another example would be his face of indifference, as if the amusements made by the fellow jester do not excite Edrik (as he is a rather arrogant king). Nevertheless, I think that the 10 facial expressions I drew perfectly render my character's traits, as those are enough to be used in any situation in which he might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment