Wednesday 13 January 2016

The Other Side - Developmental Stages: Compilation and Lighting

Arrangement of scenes in Flash
Once the animating is done, now it's time for post-production. To me personally, this step is the most enjoyable because I slowly get to see the assemblage of all that I've worked for, and experience its shimmering moment of being brought into existence. Primarily, the way I constructed and animated all of the scenes was by fragmentation. In other words, for every scene (be it only 1 second) I had a separate Adobe Flash file, done for two reasons:

 - With more than 300 frames on the clip-board (the animation in total being 600) the program has a bigger chance of crashing mid-work  and slowing down while I'm animating.
 - In this manner, the outcome of the animation in terms of length shall not matter, since it would be much easier to edit out fractions of scenes in Adobe Premiere if they are already divided.

Taking this into consideration, I can still import any movie clip from any of the scenes into any other. After all of the scenes were done in Flash, I exported each of them in QuickTime separately, then imported them into Adobe Premiere. All in all, I had 35 seconds of animation, including the repetitive movements (like when the character is flying through the air, or the idle seconds before the action occurs in a scene). I first cut parts of animation off, piled it together chronologically, and ended up with 25 seconds, as instructed. Since Flash has no elaborate mechanic of lighting effects or overlay filters, I used Premiere to add a spotlight effect, which is oriented on the stars in the background, giving the atmosphere an isolate look (as outer space naturally is). With the lighting I wanted to level the saturation of the colors, giving it a more simmered aesthetic. With this done, now it is time to compile together the sounds which will augment the animation to the max!


Above: Added Lighting
Below: No Lighting, Original


No comments:

Post a Comment