Friday 6 November 2015

Animation Exercise: Flipbook Motion

During our previous module, we were expected to create 3 flipbook animations which portray our understanding and prowess of traditional animation. Moreover, the flipbook sequences were to help us exercise the application of Squash and Stretch, one of the 12 Principles of Animation we studied and researched about. During my development stage of the flipbooks, I stumbled upon the difficulty of properly drawing the volume of the ball as it bounced up and down, due to the fact that the individual papers of the flipbook were not thin enough for proper translucency (as I could not accurately draw every frame based on the previous one). However, after several tries and several wasted flipbooks (3 wasted, if I'm correct), I prevailed at the end, as I created a smooth movement of image sequences which I scanned individually for the assemblage of a GIF image.

After doing the bouncing sequence, I took the liberty of doing a more free-form and flexible animation of a gun firing a single bullet, then dissolving into thin air (as if it were David Copperfield's gun). The sequence is smooth, however, the recoil of the gun does not seem that natural as it only moves up and down and does not tilt backwards. But still, it's an efficient and successful attempt and traditional animation seeing as this was the first time I've ever tackled real-life drawing of animated motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment