Sunday 13 March 2016

Interior Drawing: Fenton

The third and final location: The Fenton. As I came to the UK, I got introduced to the vibrant essence of British pubs and all their exuberance as you enjoy the colorful atmosphere with a good drink, good music, and good friends, and as this captured my attention, I decided to draw the pub I've been to the most. The main reason why I have chosen to draw this space is because of the atmosphere that it carries, along with the plentiful perspectives that I can draw in. The colors are generally bright, however, I think that The Fenton would have a significant context for some black and white drawings where only elements are in color to serve as an emphasis. For this sequence, I shall let the dynamics take me over - I won't focus on one method of drawing, but will try several for every drawing as I go along, one being the black and white concept (which I got in mind immediately as I decided to draw this space). Throughout cinema history, there have been so many films whose main backgrounds (or supporting ones) have been bars and pubs, plenty differentiating in tone. For example, in "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels" the pub serves as a space of conglomeration, one that is associated with the main characters' concoction of ideas (perhaps, a thinking space), whereas in "Casablanca" the bar serves as a romantic setting that drives the two main characters on the same resonance plane (plus it being a noir movie, the retro aesthetic adds to that 20th century american cultural lifestyle). What I wish to do is to create backgrounds that mirror this cinematographic atmosphere in the world of animation instead of film. Having said this, The Fenton is a perfect place for background design since every room can be fragmented for every other, which gives me a perfect opportunity to contextualize every shot in a different manner without interconnecting similarities.

"Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels"

No comments:

Post a Comment