Tuesday 1 March 2016

Exterior Drawing: Central Village

Second location: Central Village. I have chosen to draw this space because of its valley-like structure in a modern and contemporary architectural style. Furthermore, the colors are desaturated and generally align with neutrality rather than vivacity (meaning they are ranges of black and grey). I thought that by drawing this space I will develop my understanding of depth and vanishing point drawing, as well as my skill in two-point perspective, architectural geometry, and watercolor mixing. Moreover, with this set of drawings I chose a different method - first I will draw the main contours of the structures with pencil lines, then will color in watercolor by mixing a blend of darker colors with white, and shall finish off by following the lines with ink and a variety of tools with which I can spread that ink. With this space I want to employ a style of expressionism mixed with the smudgy ink movements of Kandinsky's work in "Der Blaue Reiter Almanach", where a sense of imprecise strokes adds to the aesthetic of the art. I believe that with the texture that watercolors can create I can create an adequate blend of smudged ink (unlike the precise lines I did for Leeds Town Hall) that sets off an undertone of bleakness. While at Central Village, I shall draw stairs (to practice ascending POV), middle point of a building (to practice two-point perspective), and try to capture the main external entrance (to capture a descending upper POV). Since the surroundings of the space are of a walking district, I shall freedom in movement to capture the most differentiating compository images that can assist in telling a story (for there's different atmospheres in small spaces and larger spaces).

No comments:

Post a Comment