Tuesday 15 March 2016

Flow, Form, and Force - Strike a Pose

Finally, the most time-consuming section of the task for last - striking a pose and focusing on the details of the form. For me, this was the most challenging section of this task because it called for concentration (given the 20 minutes) when drawing forms by sketching out proportional and life-like figures only to be meticulously finished for the sake of life drawing - something I'm not good at as I've said countless many times before. As I assisted by striking poses for fellow peers, so was that reciprocated, making for an in-depth look at shadowing and texture to strike realism in form and shape. For the first drawing I chose using swift ink-drenched brush movements for the shapes (preceded by a pencil sketch of the initial shapes), and followed up with watercolor in order to seal the details in with vibrance, more or less. However, I chose to do the remaining without any color because I realized that color does not add a level of a real-life representation because it is rather difficult to recreate the original colors of human skin because of its intricacy in shading. Thus, the remaining I chose to fill with graphite or pencil shading to add a firm and shadowy texture to utilize the technique that life-drawing artists such as Joe Goddard. However, I got most of the proportions (again, legs to torso ration) wrong, making the figures seem not solid but instead stiff. For example, in my fourth drawing the size of the legs is inconsistent with the body where this time they seem larger, although the body's perspective is like that, without sufficient technique it does not seem like the torso is slanted as I saw it. In my second drawing although the torso seems fine, the legs do not effectively portray perspective as his right leg's knee is towards the camera but there is no focal point there of shadowing and lines that gives off that perspective. I am not very satisfied of these drawings, which gives me motivation to work on this with consequent practice. There are plenty of life drawing events which I can join just so I can better my life drawing skills just a little bit, enough for any future drawings to classify as proportionate, nothing more, nothing less.



No comments:

Post a Comment