Tuesday 15 March 2016

Flow, Form, and Force - Rhythm Is A Dancer

Section number one of the final task - Rhythm Is A Dancer. Through this section we are to capture movement of a real-life model and draw the crucial lines that signify the motion. Since we have to produce a minimum of 4, I wanted to have each motion differ vastly from every other for the sake of versatility. Also, the poses are very limited, thus I must abstain from details in order to capture the motion that is to define a concrete and persuasive flow. Reading thoroughly through the task, I thought that the most effective tool to capture movement for this section was charcoal, since the smudging can add blur to the motion, making it seem rapid and flowing. Overall, I am very satisfied with the drawings that I produced hence I believe that with basic stick-like armature shapes one can effectively capture exaggerated movements that define the basis of a cartoon character - something I think I did successfully. For an example, in the second drawing (labeled "Vlad 2"), the curvature of the character's back line calls for proper exaggeration and removes unnecessary stiffness of movement, making it seem like a ritual dance of some sort is being performed. An example of motion blurs to mimic fast-paced and sudden movements would be the third drawing (which is not labeled) where a kick and punch is being done - the blurs on the main points of the action signify that that part is moving in a burst fashion, adding flexibility to the action. Overall, I believe this to be the most successful of all sections of this task because based on this I can build basic shapes of a character (as if this is the skeleton) and then create a solidly drawn character that exhibits life-like twists and turns.




No comments:

Post a Comment