Tuesday 15 March 2016

Flow, Form, and Force - Like a Puppet on a String

Similar to the previous section of this task, this one purges the effective practice of Squash and Stretch, one of the 12 Principles of Animation (the previous section being more along the lines of Solid Drawing, the initial step of it anyway). In comparison with the previous task, I chose to omit using charcoal for this one hence I wanted to try out new media with which I can effectively capture motion. Overall, I believe that all of the drawings portray that sense of exaggeration in movement and emphasis of contra-proportion stretch to convey the cartoonish conventions of characters. Furthermore, I added outlines on the shapes I drew to make for a more flexible motion, where they add the focal point of what's happening. For example, in my first drawing (labelled "Vlad I"), done with quick ink brush movements, the lines around the character give a feeling that he is literally stretching out as if his proportions are changing vertically, giving the movement a more dynamic flow. Or, in my second drawing ("Vlad 2") where I tried to recreate the pose before me by reconstructing it with basic shapes, the lines above the head resemble those used in old Mickey Mouse animations where Mickey diverts his attention to something else - all relevant to the simple facial position that I based off my model's head position. Although I'm satisfied with the drawings, I believe that there is a big opportunity for further improvement in terms of capturing semi-realistic bulkiness of characters, as when I drew with the graphite (last two drawings) I had a difficulty drawing out the pose in an articulate and solid manner, making the body shapes a little stiff and improper - something to work on, given time.





No comments:

Post a Comment