Tuesday 2 February 2016

Carving The Character: Wooden Maquette of Edrik

As the final step of our character creation came the wood workshop's recreation of our characters. This time, we attempted to re-make our characters from cut and carved wood by using their prime proportions, so that we may practice with the mechanical saws and sanding machines. Every one of my peers had a different approach to their characters based on their distinct proportions, volumes, and depth. As for Edrik, I decided to make him in his front perspective, thus I roughly drew all of his main parts on a block of wood, then cut them off accurately (as much as I could, not enough experience), and proceeded on sand papering them for additional smoothness that would serve in depth. However, unlike most of my peers' characters, mine is rather sharp in visual design, which is why I didn't sand paper him to the max. Continuously, I stuck the main joint point by drilling holes in between the connecting limbs and fusing them with aluminium wire (whereas some were done with wooden sticks or chains). At the end, I drew the character's outline and details with a fineliner in the comic-style of Borderlands to give him his final look. Although Edrik doesn't match the 3D aspect of his being, I am satisfied with the model since it has served in my understanding of using wood-cutting tools and the safety of working with them. A lot smaller than the clay model, but nevertheless, spot on!










No comments:

Post a Comment