Wednesday 17 February 2016

A Tale In The Sting: Initial Consideration and Choice

As a new module has begun, so has an intense line of creativity - from ideas to concepts to visualizations to produce. With this new module we are set to simulate and apply our skills in animation and visual presentation to a practical use in the industry or a professional non-educational assignment. Thus, we are given a choice from three situations with different social and practical contexts where we are to apply our skills in creating an animation based on an assigned paradigm. This has been the first module where we have been given a choice for a delineation of a module, and thus, I thoroughly looked at all three of the possible briefs, laid out their requirements, and started thinking on which one to choose. After using vague ideas about how I might tackle all of them in a given situation, I selected the second one (Titles) because it mostly connects with my course of interest. Several reasons factor in why I decided to relinquish the other two in favor of this one, something I found necessary to elaborate upon for the sake of professional practice (structuring coherent decisions and ruminating upon them).

Idents - This brief insinuates the creation of 4 separate pieces of animation, all based on different audiences. I decided to leave this one out because I value quality over quantity, and know myself well enough to know that as a consequentially make them they will gradually become worse in quality as I shall tediously progress (because of my mild perfectionism when it comes to animation). Furthermore, this brief limits my possibilities because I can't focus on a plot, but instead must mechanically adhere.

Campaign - Two animations, still, quality over quantity. Both are to be 30 seconds and differentiating in style, however, this is not something I want to do because of two reasons: with two different styles I'll spend less time improving both equally, and the quality of the second will deteriorate as I will solely focus on the technique I'm more familiar with, striving to better and improve it to a substantial base. Moreover, I despise campaigns and even more so consider that using elements shall limit my flexibility.

Titles - The one that fits into my soul, so to speak. For a myriad of reasons I have chosen this one, one of them being that it is the closest one linked with cinematography, and I favor that a good title sets the mood and tone for the upcoming content (like a good introduction in an analytical essay). Furthermore, it is only one animation in which I can infuse a psychological concept I am fond of (due to its connection with literature), be it existentialism, absurdism, nihilism, etc. I need to mention that I mostly favor the concept and meaning behind the animation before the technique, for the latter expresses the former, and not the other way around. With subtle and vague introductory skit scenes from a title introduction, the story is succinctly presented to the viewers and sets their expectations, subconsciously exciting the audience and capturing their attention.

Next step - brainstorming of possible ideas and possible books to create the adaptation

No comments:

Post a Comment