Wednesday 10 February 2016

Exterior Drawing: Leeds Town Hall - Clock Tower


With the clock tower being the most important segment of the structure, I decided of drawing it first. What struck me about it was the detailed architecture, as well as the sharp and pointy style of the baroque design, which aligns with my style of drawing. Firstly, I drew the contour of the clock tower with a pencil based on the reference in front of me, whereas I focused on the design through referencing a picture I took (with me being able to zoom-in to analyze the details of the tower). The context in which I added the shadowing and the background red color was relevant, for I was attempting to make a Batman style establishing overview shot of one of Gotham's landmarks (this case, Leeds, if it were a DC town) before a doomsday, hence the red sky. However, the most important part of my drawing is the shadowing of the tower (adding a dark effect) which juxtaposes with the simplicity of a single color as well as the texture of the watercolor brush movements that mimic dried-up blood, insinuating that the day of reckoning is upon us (based on the pagan blood red sky symbolism, as well). While on the topic of color, I chose to leave the tower colorless for two reasons: pencil shadowing that adds to detail, and a symbol of lost hope -white, black, and grey, along with red.



No comments:

Post a Comment