Saturday 13 February 2016

Exterior Drawing: Leeds Town Hall - Pillars and Stairs


Seeing as I had did a front, it was time to reference my sketches for a 2/3 perspective shot that included depth of space. One of the main elements that can portray depth in a background are stairs, if geometrically laid out, even simple minimalism will give the illusion of 3D in 2D. Based off two of my plenty sketches of Leeds Town Hall, I drew the frontal entrance from two juxtaposing perspectives, one to capture the lion statue, and another to capture the pillared lamps. To capture the essence of the architectural space as well as the precision of the layout, I geometrically drew the main lines of the structure with a ruler and mechanical pencil and then layered them with a fineliner based on the perspective.


This drawing is based on the sketch of a lower perspective where I look at the Town Hall from below
the entrance stairs. There is a small entrance in between the two pillars, however from this perspective it cannot be seen, thus I drew this in the context of a stealth scene, where the foreground and background (the stairs) are filled with people walking whereas a character would hide between the pillars waiting to strike. Another reason why I drew it from this perspective was to make use of the small 1/6th of the right side, where the stealthy character would be blurred in the foreground, stuck to the wall and waiting for people to come out of the pillared entrance. In terms of color, I used different thickness of watercolor to draw shadowing and light, and along with the texture of the brush to make the stone surfaces more authentic.



This drawing is based on the sketch of an upper perspective which I drew while resting on the opposite lion statue on the mid section of the stairs. I wanted to level the background details (like the people walking beyond the entrance) to give the painting a level of desolation, as if it is an ancient city in ruination. Instead of the background details I painted it red in order to match the tone of the scene. To even further the aging of the structure, I drew cracks all around the space to even further give it the appeal of a lost city, reminiscent of the stage design in the Crash Bandicoot 1 level "Boulder Dash".

No comments:

Post a Comment