Wednesday 10 February 2016

Exterior Drawing: Leeds Town Hall

As part of my newest Environmental Storytelling study task, consequential to my exploration of Leeds in search of structures and regions I have chosen to draw Leeds Town Hall around its vicinity. One of the main reasons why I chose to draw Leeds Town Hall is its baroque style which can be complementary with a dark undertone of atmosphere, something that caters to my style in animation. What interests me most about this space is the semi-deteriorated outer layers of the structure, which can be perfectly utilized in a background for a city in ruination, as if several character had traveled back in time. Knowing that this space is used for organizing mainly events of all sorts, be they the arts or entertainment, I wanted to capture this cultural hub's aesthetic, but change the colors to something more light. Initially, while exploring Leeds, I sat down and drew sketched elements of the Town Hall in my sketchbook to use as further reference for when drawing the background drawings. After I was done with my exploration of Leeds, several days after I sat down and sketched different perspectives of the space (which will go on my further blog posts) and not just elements which I am to use as reference when drawing the final drawings. Furthermore, seeing as I am not that experienced in depth-drawing, I also took photos of different dynamic perspectives of Leeds Town Hall for further reference and practice in drawing spaces that adhere to depth.


Sketches of Town Hall elements





No comments:

Post a Comment