Thursday 2 March 2017

Responsive: Collaborative Practice - Work Division and Progress

Me and Alex were insistent on working in a trio, thus, searched out to find a third partner. From my animation course, due to his adept 3D modelling skills, Tom Horner joined our team and the first thing we did was divide the workload and decide who was to do what. Since we wanted to submit a pack of ideas and models to meet the briefs criteria of Point of Sale, Innovation, Packaging and Point of Pour, we spread out everyone's ideas, synthesized them, and decided which are to be carried out and which shall remain only ideas. We decided that (based on the provided time) we will model a: custom pig-hoofed cider tap, pig-hoofed pint glass, countryside vibed 6-pack, engaging pig-shaped rocker. We had plenty more ideas that we either casted aside or sourced out due to the limit placed upon us - time management keeps our zeal leveled down so it does not interfere with the execution. Nonetheless, we also considered a small animation as a drawing point of sale which we might compile if we manage to execute the previously aforementioned ideas. Laying out our individual skills is how we divided the workload where I was assigned to model the 3D 6-pack and the pint for the time being where we assigned each other a personal deadline of the 5th of March. I've had significant progress so far, however, the synthesis of our group called for a much more spontaneous endeavor, which is something I simply could not impose my pedantic nature in terms of work upon. Unlike Applied Animation, I did not opt for a organization sheet for this project, which is something that I believe lacks a small aspect of professionality - note taken for next time. We went through many spontaneous changes in our practice, where Alex (the graphic designer) would make use of my UV Maps for the 3D models in order to design the layout of the packaging. Initially we were considering making a pig mascot/character for the brand, however, decided that we shall keep that aside once we have something firm created. Furthermore, although I did make a design on the character, Alex stated that it doesn't align with the aesthetic of the packaging. Nonetheless, for the time being, my progress seems promising as all of us have stuck to our respective assignments and will mix them all together in a week's time.

6 Pack Design and Hoof-Shaped Pint
For the 6 pack, there was initially a holder, however, in order to make it more countryside-ish we got an idea for it to be harnessed by ropes, having me remodel the box. In the very first draft version, since I agreed to do 3D models due to me wanting to further develop my inconsistent 3D modelling skills with an external motivator that would push me to do so, I started making them with planes bound together. Unfortunately, I got rather frustrated as to how Maya works, having me contacting Mat to show me how the tools function. Based on that, we created a mock box for the 6 pack and in doing so he also taught me how to UV map, increasing my Maya skills even further. With that, I redid the box on my own using the technique I was shown, only making it much thinner. Once I got that narrowed down, I started doing the rope adjustments etc, along with the hoof-shaped pint. Messing around with it got me to understand how to work eliminating faces, how to bevel edges, and how to extrude vertexes. For now, I'm settling on modelling both of these to the max before I learn how to convert the mesh to adapt glass as a matter and before UV mapping the box, which is something Alex is designing based on the UV maps that I was taught how to make. Furthermore, so that he may understand how the box was unwrapped we placed numbers on the original uv for the pack, added it to the model, and then took screenprints to see how the numbers envelop around the box.





No comments:

Post a Comment