Sunday 22 January 2017

Responsive: Loop De Loop II - Cute - Finishing Up

All the puzzle pieces fit together and my animation has been completed and submitted. Unlike the previous solo project (11 Second Club), I had plenty of fun creating this animation since it was out of the ordinary for me in terms of both aesthetic and content. Initially 3 of the screens featured Grimes' artwork, however, halfway through animating them through After Effects I realized the copyright infringement that would induce so I scrapped them and just replaced them with generated abstract visuals like the remainder of the screens. Since I did not know how to do a horizontally moving loop through coding I instead made a full cycle of both .pngs of the glowing lights and removed the last frame, making it loop perfectly. Furthermore, just to make the background even more lively I added random strobe light seeds to the background silhouette lights. Finally, when all imported into Premiere I added a simulated VHS video noise on top (one I've recorded myself) and image echo on the whole animation in order to make it appear more ethereal, in a way pertaining grimes like a phantasmic being. Seeing as Loop De Loop does not accept copyright protected material without legal permission, I turned over to FrankJavCee - a visual and music artist - for the soundtrack. Thus, I bought his 8-bit album rendition of 3 Grimes songs legally and asked him through a personal e-mail for the rights of use, to which he replied, allowing me to use it. I took a screenshot of this just in case Loop De Loop ask me about it. Overall, I am extremely happy with the animation, however would point out that I could have tinkered with the inner stroke of the windows to make them more 3D - realizing this once the whole animation was completed so that I may analyze it. Sending it to several friends and peers, I gained constructive criticism. One friend pointed out that her hair looked like a wig, something that could have been eliminated if I added inner contours of hair strands. Nonetheless, although I didn't rush this animation, I feel that I could have spend more time on the meticulous post-productive details, however given the other work I have to tend to I brushed this off.

Grimes, The Vivacious Muse - https://vimeo.com/200218662

No comments:

Post a Comment