Friday 13 January 2017

Responsive: Loop De Loop II - Cute - Color and Aesthetics

In order to develop the idea I picked further, I started searching the internet for Grimes' art footprint for inspiration. Initially I thought of abstract animations in the background that would go with her dance, however, I wanted to create a coherent aesthetic for the background. Thus, I first considered the color palette which drove me to think of the scenery - Tokyo cityscape with cute flourescent vaporwave graphics, perhaps billboards that project her name or albums. This way the background would reflect her flamboyant color-driven style even further. Instantly after I got this notion, I created a mood board so that I may have a placeholder perception of how I want the background to look like. Once I got that out of the way, I started browsing the internet for a suitable .gif image of Grimes to rotoscope, one that might particularly loop and was able to find an excerpt from her "Vanessa" music video. After rotoscoping her contours I began to be pensive about HOW I'm going to make her cute as to appease the required theme of the challenge, which is why I created color boards for her make-up and hair color. They helped me experiment with her look until I'm certain which pattern I would like to apply to her. I figured that I can do her pupils on a separate layer and have them shimmer and glow in After Effects once I've finished animating her. Nevertheless, I believe that his whole animation is to be a big experimentation for developing a new visual style of aesthetic that I am to add to my skillset since I believe that the visual look of an animation catches the attention of the audience and drives the narrative through the concept of "eye candy".

Third make-up style picked

Red/Pink hair chosen

No comments:

Post a Comment