Monday 21 November 2016

Animation 1: Character & Narrative Weekly Summary 7

This week consisted of compositing scenes for the final animation. With both me and Jay working on each asset separately, 50-50%, be it individual character animation or design of backgrounds, I believe that this week was also quite productive, despite the 3 days of no production during Manchester Animation Festival. Other than composition of pre-animated assets (like Seth's face or his rowing movement), I also did additional animation for the movement within the scenes. For example, I started animating the telescope scene where Seth looks through the telescope to find the lighthouse from afar - by using easing in and out between keyframes, I was able to mimic a lifelike POV and reduce the "mechanical" appearance of it to a bare minimum. With me receiving the individual shots of the lighthouse, as well as the animation for the lighthouse collapsing (which Jay did), to put it bluntly: pure production this week. Initially, first I am doing the animation for every scene, then placing the background assets (like the bottle, faces, and injection) in layout, because I believe that I should prioritize the animation hence I can speculate that there are going to be no problems or limitations with the background items. I also composited the scene that I thought would be amongst the most difficult and tricky to do - the lower angle rowing shot. Because it is a 2D animation, I used the 3D layer tool in After Effects, and to my surprise, it actually turned out to be a valid resolution. As I take some time to reflect on my previous animation preferences and "beliefs", so to say, I have found that I have gained a much more profuse utilization of keyframes and tweens for animation, making my animations much more smooth and robust in flow than ever before... every single animation I have worked on has had different techniques and new experiences for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment