Sunday 6 November 2016

Animation 1: Character & Narrative Weekly Summary 5

Seth's face stills from the animation.
Through this week the digital and technical progress has began its full swing as I've made progress in all areas of my animation. Given that our animation's interface revolves around transparent video layers that are to be superimposed in After Effects, I have the freedom to animate every asset independently and separately without relying on external factors. Analytically speaking, this was quite a good tactic me and Jay appropriated since it did not bind our dependency but still enabled a plethora of opportunities where we would work together to attain the product, open to suggestion and flexibility. Nevertheless, I began mantling some of the scenes, particularly the last one to see how the assets would interact with each other. I got even more elated when I reaped the fruits of this flexible multi-video layer technique as it gave me an opportunity to fully utilize the effects prepacked within After Effects, such as the wave effects which simulate water - perfect for the concluding scene. Furthermore, I rigged Seth for this scene and made him assume a fetal position while sinking, proving that DUIK is an immensely helpful rigging tool. Casting that aside, I started animating the face of Seth, in particular his face during the string of establishing shots at the beginning (him yawning), using the drawn finished version of him facing front as reference where I will attach the face when we composite the scene within AE. With the range of textured brushes Photoshop has, I was able to digitally recreate my initial desire to do his face traditionally in charcoal, with a little taste of German expressionism by using murky and smudgy lines. Finally, as Jay was modelling the lighthouse, I created the UV maps that are to be attached to the structure to make it assume a realistic form, yet maintaining that low-poly aesthetic. I created them by using the outlines (which are Maya edges) as reference for transitions between geographical shapes, all of which are filled with the texture but with a different color and/or layer blend.

The sinking scene and assets.


DUIK rigged Seth for the sinking scene pose.




Finished UV Maps




UV Map contours for reference

No comments:

Post a Comment