Tuesday 1 December 2015

Set, Series, Sequence: Watercolor Style Development

Following up with a new technique, one I had never used prior, came the ink pencil + watercolor drawings. Same as the previous technique, I drew the outlines of the picture with pencil, and then overlapped them with an ink pen. However, this time I took "frantic" swipes with the ink pen instead of careful and pedantic ones. What I hoped to achieve with this was a whole new different atmosphere, one more dark, one more inky, less precise. But, instead of just pencil shading or coloring with wooden color pencils, I used watercolor. The reason I used watercolor was that with it I can manipulate the visual texture of the color instead of drawing inner contour lines. With watercolor, every brush swipe can be seen after the color dries out, which gives an artist aesthetic flexibility. Finally, for finesse, I sprayed ink on the drawings as to further strengthen the dominance of the color black and add to the murky and shadowed essence of the drawings. And finally, for the sake of experimentation, I mixed gold ink with black ink, took a piece of broccoli, dipped it in the ink, slapped it on a piece of paper, let it dry, then drew around it. Instead of copying the outline of broccoli using referential images, I let the broccoli do it's own form, natural in a way. Kinda post-modern, but hey, wonderful ideas sprouted!



The initial ink blots made with broccoli.










The final drawing, named "Cosmic Broccoli"


No comments:

Post a Comment