Thursday 21 April 2016

A Tale In The Sting: Stop-Motion and Assembling of Footage

The production has been completed, well, the former part of it. As this is going to be a multimedia hybrid animation that blends stop-motion with 2D rotoscope post-rendering, the foundation of the work is the stop-motion which shall be exposed to finesse. During this stage, I carefully followed the scenes from the animatic in order to get enough animation to meet the 30 second mark. Due to the lighting and me animating only after 10PM (no natural luminosity) there was no light flicker in the exposure shots, making it more flexible for me to solely focus on the movement of the characters on the set. The framerate of the animation (25 fps) enabled me to animate the creatures in such a way that their movements seem unnatural, mostly grasped by the introductory scenes where they are climbing up the vines at a brisk pace, giving off the notion of the creatures being shapeshifters. As for stop-motion conventions one of my most used ones is the effect transformation where another obejct is being introduced via manual stop-motion effects - in this case the scene where the heads of Vladimir and Estragon appear. With this, the otherworldly aspect of my animation I believe is fully achieved. With the clay's malleability I was able to execute perfectly the dissolution of the creatures on the floor, with them seeming like they really are being submerged in an acid. After the stop-motion was done, I got 35 seconds of animation - over the limit. However, this was so because of the extra frames in between scenes I took for the sake of flexibility in transitions (sometimes a scene needs to quickly transit to another one, whereas sometimes there is a need of static imagery to seal the effect). Finally, after achieving 30 secs of animation, I rendered the video and exported it. Next step - Adobe individual frame rotoscoping.


Stop-motion X1 stills

No comments:

Post a Comment